Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Warning About Scented Plug-Ins

  House Fires-Please Read This
I am Superintendent of an apartment building and the fire chief was telling me not to use those scented plug ins as they can cause fires. Since then I only by the stand alone units of scented spray and no plug in the wall kind whatsoever.  I was told this a year ago and found this article on the subject.

A house burnt down... nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news.

However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her  what she had plugged in
 the bathroom. She listed the normal things...curling iron, blow dryer. 
He kept saying to her, 'No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures'. Then her sister-in-law
 remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom.

The investigator had one of those 'Aha' moments. He said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is thin. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.

Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on..... That is a warning sign

The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many places that have been burned down due to them.

Please watch what you buy and warn others about these as it could save lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment