Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Health Care System



I am very disappointed in our Health Care system in Canada!!

We need more nurses, doctors, counsellors and psychiatrists as there seems to be a shortage in the system.  I am in the Niagara Region and cant believe how long of a wait time it is to see a doctor in Emergency. It can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours and I think this is ridiculous.  The only way to save the wait time is to go in by ambulance as then you are priority.

 It seems you can't even get a Family doctor these days unless you are lucky enough to find one taking new patients. 

People that are in the hospital need family members around them to keep an eye on things.  This is very important.  My mother was in the hospital and she had a lot of health issues.  She had taken a stroke and was in the hospital.  I had been working full time and could not get there everyday.  She could not feed herself due to the stroke.  She ended up dying due to dehydration-kidney failure. This has bothered me and has been an issue ever since.  So please keep an eye on family members that are hospitalized.  Something needs to be done about this.

What are your thoughts on the Health Care system?  Do you have a Family doctor? Have you ever had an experience like this?

4 comments:

  1. I receive the Mcleans magazine and the cover story a few issues back was how Canada is at the bottom of the charts for timeliness and quality for health care. Living in the Niagara region, I know that our hospital here is ridiculous. I was there the other day and had an interesting time observing all of the things that could be done more efficiently and effectively but just aren't. Considering I was there for 7.5 hours, I had a lot of time to do this. I am going to be blogging about this as well as its really important for us (the people), to speak up and do something about this. We (Canadians) are too quiet and patient and just let things be the way they are... its time we stand up for what we deserve, and at the very least, its quality health care.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definately need to hace something done. I could not agree with you more on this issue. I am glad that our health care is paid for but on the other had we need more quality care and this issue needs to be addressed and changed. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes our health care is paid for, but if you want "priority" service, you need to get into an ambulance, which you then get a bill for $60.00. So really, you pay for priority in a sense no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the Ambulance makes you a priority whn you get to the Hospital and you do pay for that so in a sense you are right on that Belinda!

    ReplyDelete